High Adversity Resilience Training
Driven HART is a specialized resilience program targeted at building mental strength in workers exposed to extreme stress.
Developed for emergency responders, medical & military personnel, as well as executives and others who can benefit from advanced resilience skills.
High Adversity Resilience Training (HART) has been developed to help those who experience extreme situations in their work.
We collaborated with experts in various first responder fields to bring practical skills and techniques, along with an approach to build a culture of resilience. All aimed at helping those who help others.
Fire & Rescue
Emergency Medical Services
Crisis Call Centres
FOCUSED ON UNIQUE CHALLENGES
HART is targeted at the main occupational stress factors affecting emergency services.
Challenges that can lead to trauma:
- High pressure to manage crises
- Trauma and death – see, handle, treat, inflict, or prevent
- Risk of injury and death
- Difficult interactions with civilians
- Direct and vicarious trauma
- Burnout, depression, anxiety, and suicide
Challenges that wear down resilience capacity:
- Shift work
- Lots of paperwork
- Rigid procedures
- Tough training regimes
- Lack of resources
- Stigma about asking for help
- Command structures
- Extreme time pressures
- Issues with other staff
- Conflicting agendas
Effect on families that can cause isolation and loneliness:
- Disengaging from family due to job stress
- Not wanting to share difficult parts of the job
- Long hours leaving too little time with family
- Difficulty to maintain relationships or friendships (especially with people outside the field)
- Low levels of camaraderie
BUILDING A CULTURE OF RESILIENCE
HART takes a broad approach, including change elements
across leaders, management, workers, and family members to
build a truly supportive culture of resilience.
The HART Approach
HOW HART WORKS
- The HART skills have been carefully developed using on leading research and expert input from various fields
- These skills can be learned through interactive workshops, and also online using the Driven Resilience App
- The skills fit into the PR6 Resilience Model, expanding the foundational skills with advanced skills for high stress occupations
- The course is designed to be complemented by a comprehensive cultural approach, including managers, leaders, ambassadors, and family members
LEARN HART RESILIENCE
The Driven Resilience App contains all the HART skills, building on the foundational skills.
- Enduring Motivation Through Connecting Purpose
- High Adversity Reappraisal to Develop Situational Resilience
- Sustainable Compartmenting
- Optimizing Thoughts & Brhaviours
- Concrete vs Abstract Processing
- High Adversity Humor
- High Quality Connections
- Grief & Growth
- Strong Relationships
- Three Good Things
- Mental Load Management
- Managing Work Hours (Long Hours & Shift Work)
Vision is about developing a sense of meaning and clear goals. This provides a motivational force over time.
1. Enduring Motivation Through Connecting Purpose
- Learn how to connect a sense of purpose and calling to the challenges of high adversity work, helping to build more long-term motivation
- Put challenges in context, using an improved understanding of challenge domains and how to maintain perspective
- Practical technique to explore your personal connection to purpose and how to maintain this view over time
Composure is about emotional awareness and regulation, building skills to effectively manage stress and stay calm and in control.
1. High Adversity Reappraisal
- Learn how to adapt the Reappraisal technique to help reinterpret highly challenging situations and circumstances, building a constructive mindset
- Build on self-awareness systems from the foundational Composure skills to quickly adapt and maintain a sense of control within high stress situations
- Explore Reappraisal as a broader skill to shift perspectives throughout life experiences
Reasoning is about critical thinking skills, including adaptation, readiness for change, resourcefulness, along with being proactive to plan ahead for challenges.
1. Sustainable Compartmenting
- Develop a practical set of tools to manage the impact of high stress events in different parts of life
- Learn how to stay focused and present, even during extreme circumstances
- Improve communication skills with family, friends and co-workers
2. Optimizing Thoughts & Behaviours
- Understand and identify 10 thought distortions that often impact high adversity workers
- Learn how to improve thinking methods, leading to more constructive behaviours
3. Concrete vs Abstract Processing
- Learn a specialized technique to reduce the mental impact of witnessing trauma and death through work
Tenacity is about building an unshakable sense of persistence and motivation, the ability to bounce back from any setback to keep coming back stronger.
1. Mental Load Management
- Learn how to maintain high job engagement to reduce the risk of burnout
- Increase carer satisfaction to reduce risk of compassion fatigue
- Understand the symptoms and develop resilience to vicarious trauma and direct trauma (trauma resilience)
2. Three Good Things
- Develop skills to increase happiness and optimism in high adversity work
- Implement as a practical daily technique to shift mental filtering of positive events as a side effect of high adversity work
Collaboration talks about our deep desire for connection and meaningful relationships. This includes building our own social skills, as well as growing networks and supporting others.
1. High Adversity Humour
- Learn how to use humour in a high adversity context, including pitfalls and methods to support humour as a long-term coping technique
2. Grief and Growth
- Learn about the process of grief as a key skill in high adversity occupations that often deal with grief and loss
- Learn how to support others working through grief
- Learn more about preparing the mind and brain for loss, as well as learning about dealing with loss, such as the death of someone close, and loss due to suicide
3. High Quality Connections
- Learn techniques to develop stronger connections with co-workers
- Develop more supportive and cohesive teams
4. Strong Relationships
- Improve relationships at home through various techniques, including active-constructive responding
Resilience is not just mental, it is also physical. Health is about how nutrition, sleep and exercise contributes to a healthy mind, helping to find practical ways to build sustainable healthy habits.
1. Managing Work Hours
- Learn and discuss techniques to manage the effects of shift work and long hours
- Explore techniques to maintain good sleep, even with long hours and shift work
- Techniques to stay awake during long shifts
- Strategies to keep eating healthy foods, even with little time to eat or prepare
- Techniques to incorporate exercise despite constraints with work hours
Interested in HART?
About the HART Ambassador Course
Course fee: US$270 (AU$345)
14 day money back guarantee!
Resilience is about ADVANCING DESPITE ADVERSITY.
Let’s advance together